Catnip and Catnip Affects FAQ
What is catnip?
“Catnip (Nepeta cataria), is a member of the Mint family of aromatic herbs. It is a common aromatic herb of the high deserts of North America, and was naturalized in Canada from it’s indigenous roots in Northern Africa and the Mediterranean.”
Picture of catnip in the field before harvesting courtesy Kooky Kat Catnip Company
When was catnip discovered?
Is catnip safe for my cat?
How will my cat respond to catnip?
Why didn't my kitten/cat respond to the catnip?
The response to catnip is an inherited “autosomal dominant trait” — in other words, it is genetic and your kitten or cat must have inherited the appropriate genes.
Interesting Catnip Fact: “Cats which have a genome originating in geographical areas where catnip is not indigenous, like Southeast Asia, typically do not respond to catnip.”
Not only must your kitten or cat have inherited the right genes, they must be old enough to respond to catnip’s lure. “Approximately 15% of all cats do not respond to catnip. Cats which are less than 6 months old (not sexually mature) almost never respond to catnip regardless of their genes.”
How much catnip should I give at a time?
How should I store catnip?
Can catnip go stale?
What is organic catnip?
Why is certified organic better?
What are catnip buds?
What is catnip oil?
Why give my cat catnip?
— catnip can be used to treat your cat, encouraging a normally placid cat to change behavior and unleash its silly side
— it may relax your cat (envision your cat napping on it’s favorite catnip scented or filled bed)
— it can be used to train your cat — placing a freshly catnip scented scratching post near a favorite couch corner may help your couch survive
— it may encourage your cat to exercise — by getting your cat to play with a favorite catnip toy. Some catnip toys, by design, will be just held between the cat’s paws, rabbit-kicked and licked to “death”. Others, those in ball form (such as Hav-A-NipTM) or with corners for easy grip with the teeth, will encourage batting, tossing, chasing and a “faster than a slow stroll” pace.
Can I rejuvenate a favorite, older catnip toy or that catnip bed I bought last year?
Lions and Tigers...
Buy Catnip For your Cat
Cat Crack Catnip, Premium Blend Safe for Cats, Infused with Maximum Potency Your Kitty is Sure to Go Crazy for.
- 100% NATURAL: Freshly grown, guaranteeing highest quality with no preservatives or artificial ingredients.
- CATS LOVE: Sprinkle any amount, and watch your Kitty’s favorite toy, bed or scratch post, and watch them purr, roll, meow and play for hours!
- HARVESTED FRESH: Planted, grown and harvested at the highest peak of season, ensuring best plant quality for essential oil.
- HEALTHY: Turn your tired, old and worn out Kitten into an excited playmate with a great form of exercise!
- UNIQUE EXTRACT: Proprietary herb blend will last longer and stay fresher, giving your Kitty a better long lasting experience.
When Hartz 100% Catnip comes out, nap time is officially over.
- Catnip mimics the stimulation your furry friend’s ancestors experience from tracking down prey in the wild.
- A pinch of this irresistible nip goes a
- Made with just a single ingredient, it’s just what your kitty needs for a
super-charged play session.
- All natural, and non-toxic to pets,
- Sprinkle it on a scratcher, stuff inside a toy, or lightly dust your indoor cat’s favorite lounging areas to spark a round of
OurPets Cosmic Catnip, 100% Natural, Premium North-American Grown Catnip
- PREMIUM CATNIP: 100% Natural Premium North American Grown Catnip your feline friends are sure to enjoy!
- HISTORY OF EXCELLENCE: Cosmic Catnip has been made for over 30 years and is packaged here in Ohio. It is a great alternative to catnip sprays and safe for cats of all ages.
- HIGH POTENCY: Our fragrant catnip has a tempting and enticing aroma to attract your cat into play time! Cosmic Catnip will encourage playful behavior, watch them purrrr, scratch, and meow for hours of fun.
- DETER DESTRUCTIVE BEHAVIOR: Us our premium catnip with other cat toys, their favorite cat scratching post and cat scratcher to deter destructive behavior.
- SUGGESTED USE: Catnip can safely be given every other day, however, effectiveness wears off with constant exposure. Giving your cat a break between exposures ensures enjoyment each time!
- Age range description: All Stages
Yeowww! Cat Catnip Made in USA
- Catnip that Actually works Pure premium flower top blend.
- Made in the USA
- Country Of Origin: United States
- The Yeowww! Catnip Tub™ packs a punch even for the most high-maintenance or older finicky cats.